A marathon is a hell of a life goal. It’s really long and takes a lot of preparation. You can’t just show up and expect to survive. So you still want to do one? It’s simple:
- Get a good pair of shoes from a runner who works at a sports shoe or running specialty store
- Run as many days a week as you can, even if it’s short each time
- Don’t increase mileage more than 10% a week
- If you want to do speed work, which will make you faster and is fun training, get Jack Daniels training book and a GPS watch (yes the coach is really named Jack Daniels)
- Learn to eat something (gel, fig, Clif Blok) while running and eat that exact thing once or twice during the race. And drink water.
- Watch out for any minor injury which could get worse
- and then get yourself to the start line! and be prepared for a world of pain and awesomeness starting at mile 20. Enjoy every mile, smile (it’ll feel easier for a moment) and let me know how it went.
The author at the 2009 Victoria BC Marathon